Selecting commercial upholstery is not as easy a task as it seems even though considering the professional environment one has some limited choices. It is questions like a piece of fabric that rarely needs cleaning and can be done quickly and a material that conveys the right mood that makes…
What Is Upholstery And Why It Is Crucial?
Architects say that the upholstery fabric is a big investment any homeowner makes in their décor. The reason being that you don’t want to regret or second guess buying the new sofa because the colour was wrong, the material was itchy, or the threads snag! With the slightest mistake in the fabric, the look of the entire room suffers. At the end of the day, you end up spending more money to re-upholster the furniture. Know More about how to give a long life to upholstery here.
In this article, we help you pick the right upholstery fabric and talk about a few trends in the field. But before you go zeroing in the material, let’s grasp what is upholstery in its true definition. The padding, the spring, the webbing and the fabric of furniture makes the upholstery. From sofas to chairs, all of them utilize it. Over many centuries, since the trend started, various materials have been used for it, ranging from wool to cotton.
Currently, the inside of furniture consists of metal springs and foam. The outer material can vary as per taste. The one imperative factor to keep in mind while choosing upholstery is that the inner material cannot be changed once selected. The upper fabric can be switched in time, but the inside layers last for very long. Also, they make the most significant difference in comfort!
How To Choose The Fabric From An Architect’s Point Of View?
Always let the practical requirement lead the way when shopping for upholstery says all the best architects. For this consider:
• Who will live in the house?
• Who will use the piece of furniture?
For example, while silk velvet may look gorgeous, it will not last even a single day in a dwelling that houses kids. So, let the answer to the above two questions be the guide to picking the fabric.
• Where will the sofa/chair be kept?
If the piece is in a room that sees high-traffic, you need to pick a comfortable inner material and durable outer fabric. If the sofa is in a room that doesn’t see much use, there will be less wear and tear. In such cases, any material is feasible.
• How will the fabric age?
• What will it look like in 5 years?
• Will it develop a patina and if yes, then will it still look as brilliant?
• Will it fade in sunlight?
With time, some fabric age. Therefore, consider the above questions and get the answers to each of them for any upholstery you pick. You don’t want a fabric that requires changing every five years, because it doesn’t age well.
• What are the cleaning needs of the fabric?
• How maintenance will it need?
• Will it require vacuuming periodically?
The amount of cleaning the fabric requires is essential as you don’t want to spend every alternate day struggling to clean the drawing sofa!
A Few Trends In Choosing Upholstery Fabrics
Now that the guide to picking the fabric for your furniture is done with, it is time to talk about the latest trends. No one wants a home that looks out of place with the current era; therefore, here are some ideas to inspire you.
• Floral fabrics that show the natural beauty of flowers are big this year. They can be old chintz style or more abstract. Pick as per taste!
• While pure Ikat patterns are really out the window, a slightly geometric patterned upholstery will not go wrong in a formal room.
• Try to pick a fabric that has textural finish. They are extremely popular. Plus, if the upholstery is in jewel colour, then you have hit the jackpot for statement pieces.
• If jewel colours are not up your alley, then choose feminine tones. Warm pink, bronze, and blush are an excellent way to break the neutral shades of the wall. The only drawback is that they require more maintenance!
Know More About : Chair Upholstery For Events For A Chic Look